Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Eldrick Woods


What is it about sports icons these days? When did the shining stars in sports become the pin cushions under the ass of society? It seems that just as quickly as they emerge to the top, they sputter and fall uncontrollably to the depths of society. I miss my heroes. And I will not be the first person to say that I am sick of the media and blood-thirsty society tearing down the "greats" in sports. Although I am confident Woods will resume his conquest on golf, shattering all records in front of him, I am concerned that his legacy that was once golden is now permanently tainted. Lets look back at how easy it was for 19-year old Katelyn Faber to tear down the NBA superstar Kobe Bryant's reputation. Kobe has recovered, so maybe Eldrick will as well. But at what point is the pressure going to drive all the superstars out of the spotlight? Do we as Americans fear the very success and perfection that our idols represent? Is our thirst for a hero what brings us to a form of social bloodletting? Because once we see them bleed we see that they really are just like us? I am sick of the bloodshed. I am ready for my Sunday afternoons to be filled with speechless crowds roaring to the swing of the most intoxicating golfer on television.

2 comments:

  1. Lets talk about what Peyton "The Hurricane" Manning will do to the Saints. Here I am...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah and lets not forget about Drew "The Sea" Brees and his awesome nickname.

    ReplyDelete